Monday, July 20, 2020

Non adhesive book binding - Hedi Kyle Blizzard Book



Next up in the series of binding experiments is the blizzard book, developed by Hedi Kyle. 
An origamatic binding, the blizzard book is created using a series of folds which in turn create 'pocket' pages resembling envelopes. Quite a fiddly process at first but becoming more intuitive with practice. The dimensions of the book can be adjusted to allow the envelopes to accommodate inserts of any size, making it a very versatile binding. 
My attempt is detailed below. Rather than including dozens of photographs, I've tried something new, and made a video step by step to explain the folding process. I think is the easiest way to understand how its done; 






I reckon this is a lovely little book. Its so adaptable. Next, I'm going to try making a blizzard spine to hold signatures - I have a feeling that might make a really nice non-adhesive binding. 
Any comments or feedback on my step by step video are very welcome. Its my first attempt so I'm always looking for ways to improve!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Yakisugi woodcut printmaking part 2

  This follows on from my previous post which covered the process of yakisugi (scorching wood to raise the grain) which you can read  here  ...